Virtual Copy Editor (Bloomberg)
Shasmi Beauty is seeking for someone to fill the position of a Virtual Copy Editor.
Edit consistently at a high level, demonstrating expertise at not only grammar and style but also at a big-picture level.
Go well beyond a traditional copy-editing role, helping to up-level co-workers and taking on projects that benefit the entire content team.
Be comfortable with change and constructive criticism.
Be passionate about helping readers and ensuring that articles are consistently engaging, clear and actionable.
Work with equal enthusiasm whether you are leading a project or working within a team.
That is part of what it takes to thrive us, where we guide consumers on a broad range of financial topics, including credit cards, banking, personal loans, student loans, mortgages, insurance and investing.
Our content team is 80+ strong and includes writers and editors with experience from Bloomberg, Dow Jones, the Los Angeles Times, MSN, Reuters, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, and The Washington Post.
What we have in common: We take initiative, think strategically, and problem solve effectively. We are adaptable and highly collaborative.
Where you can make an impact:
Copy-edit and write headlines at a consistently high level.
Hold a high bar on quality.
Go beyond surfacing team-wide problems to offer expertise, conceiving of solutions and helping to implement them.
Look for opportunities to extend your influence beyond the copy desk, such as through projects where desk participation can make a difference.
Give constructive feedback to writers, assigning editors and fellow copy editors.
Understand when to escalate issues and when to solve them at the individual or team level.
Be a strong communicator who truly enjoys helping everyone improve.
Recognize when elements of an article seem out of alignment with a good user experience and recommend solutions.
Advocate for consumers by editing for clarity and accuracy.
PAY: $16.00 per hour
TO BECOME A LIFETIME MEMBER:
Please complete our remote contractor registration enrollment https://shasmibeauty.com/telecommute-job-board/.
Please reference our agent registration ID code ShasmiBeautyTanyaPhilip on your application when you apply.
We will contact you back within 24 hours via email.
If you are seeking PT or FT employment and would like more information on this position, then please call (405) 252-1103 or apply online.
Computer, Internet, and a home office set-up.
Skills or Expertise
You are someone who is/are able to...
• adaptable and eager to grow, including working toward roles of greater responsibility beyond the copy desk. Some copy editors have had the opportunity to become assigning editors.
• an expert editor and editing coach.
• balance depth and speed in editing.
• can handle the logistics and demands of large projects.
• regularly resolves problems in stories. Knows when to ask questions.
• make good prioritization decisions, spending an appropriate amount of time on each task.
• excel at time management, prioritization and handling multiple tasks at once.
• scrappy and fast-paced, with obsessive attention to detail.
• resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle anything from copy-editing assignments to projects with minimal direction, and you always deliver polished work.
• 3-5/+ years copy-editing for consumer-facing publications.
• Experience in a startup environment is a plus!